1/3 C kosher salt
3 Tbsp dry mustard
4 tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp dried minced garlic
1 Tbsp onion powder
2 tsp dried thyme crushed
2 tsp dried oregano crushed
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp celery seed
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 4 to 6 pound beef rib roast
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. To make dry rub: In a small bowl, combine salt, mustard, pepper, garlic, onion powder, thyme, oregano, coriander and celery seeds. Set aside 1/4 cup. Save remaining rub for another use.
3. Rub olive oil all over meat.
4. Sprinkle the 1/4 cup dry rub evenly over meat; rub in with your fingers.
5. Make six 1 1/2-inch knife slits into the fat side.
6. Place meat, fat side up, in a large roasting pan.
7. Insert an oven meat thermometer into center without touching bones.
8. Roast for 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours for medium rare (135 degrees) or 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hours for medium (150 degrees)
9. Transfer meat to a cutting board
10. Cover with foil and let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
11. The temperature of the meat will rise 5 to 10 degrees during standing.
Capt. Dick May is the owner of Easy Rider Charters in Bokeelia. He can be reached at 239-283-3247 or easyridercharters.com. "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" (a new cookbook) can be ordered for $14.95 plus $3 postage by calling the number above or mailing a check (made out to Dick May) to 7989 Judge Bean Road, Bokeelia, FL 33922.