Catch ‘em & Cook ‘em: Whole Fried Flounder
1 (1 to 1 1/2 LB) flounder
Vegetable oil for frying
2 C flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 recipe Garlic-Apricot Glaze (recipe follows)
1. Wash and scale flounder
2. Remove head and gut
3. Score each side of the fish with a sharp knife in 1-inch diamond shapes
4. Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep cast iron skillet to 335 degrees.
5. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper and dredge the flounder in the flour mixture.
6. Deep fry flounder until golden 8 to 12 minutes
7. Drain and spread the glaze over the flounder and serve immediately.
1/4 C apricot jam
2 Tbsp rice vine vinegar
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1. In a small sauce pan, combine jam, vinegar and garlic
2. Cook over medium heat until reduced by one-third
3. Add the soy sauce and simmer until thickened 5 to 10 minutes
Capt. Dick May is a former long-time island resident, charter boat captain and cookbook author.