Catch ‘em & Cook ‘em: Creamy Garlic Mussels
4 lb mussels
4 T butter
2 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 lemon thinly sliced
3/4 C dry white wine
1/2 C chicken broth
1. Scrub the mussels with a vegetable brush under running water and discard any with broken shells or that remain open when tapped.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, melt 2 T butter in the olive oil. Add the garlic, thyme, lemon slices and cook until everything has softened about 5 minutes.
3. Add the mussels and stir to coat them with all the flavors.
4. Add the wine, then the chicken broth and cover the pot. Steam for 10 – 12 minutes or until the mussels are open. Remove the mussels from the pot.
5. Take the meat out of the mussels and put the meat back into the pot along with the remaining butter. Using an immersion blender, buzz the liquid until the sauce thickens and becomes creamy. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Divide the remaining mussels among the serving bowls and spoon sauce over them.
6. Serve plenty of crusty French bread and dip in the sauce.
Capt. Dick May is a former long-time island resident, charter boat captain and cookbook author.