Catch ‘em & Cook ‘em: Scalloped Oysters
1 qt fresh oysters
2 1/2 sleeves rectangle buttery crackers crushed
1 tsp salt
1 C butter melted
1 1/2 C Half and Half
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1. Drain oysters reserving 1/2 cup oyster liquid
2. Place cracker crumbs in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle evenly with salt.
3. Drizzle butter over crumbs, tossing to combine.
4. Whisk together 1/2 cup reserved oyster liquid, Half & Half and Worcestershire sauce.
5. Place 1/3 of the crumb mixture evenly in the bottom of a 2 quart baking dish and top with half of the oysters.
6. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp pepper.
7. Pour half of cream mixture evenly over oysters.
8. Repeat layers, ending with crumb mixture.
9. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours.
10. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
11. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Capt. Dick May is a former long-time island resident, charter boat captain and cookbook author.