Catch ‘em & Cook ‘em: Grandma’s Buttermilk Pot Roast
1 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 (3 to 4 lb) roast
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Beef flavored bullion cube
1/3 C hot water
1 1/2 C buttermilk divided
6 medium carrots scraped and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 Lb brussels sprouts or 1 (10 oz) pkg frozen brussels sprouts thawed
1/4 C + 2 Tbsp flour
1. Combine 1 Tbsp flour, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Dredge roast in flour mixture.
2. Brown the roast in hot oil in a large Dutch oven.
3. Dissolve bouillon cube in hot water and pour over roast.
4. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
5. Add 1/2 C buttermilk, carrots and brussels sprouts. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tender.
6. Remove roast and vegetables to a platter and keep warm. Reserve drippings in the Dutch oven.
7. Combine remaining 1 C of buttermilk and 1/4 C + 2 Tbsp flour in a small bowl and stir well.
8. Stir flour mixture into liquid in Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
9. Serve the gravy with the roast.
“Capt. Dick’s Seafood & Southern Country Cooking,” Capt. Dick May’s newest cookbook, can be ordered at www.Amazon.com. Go to Cookbooks then to Food and Wine category. Type in “Capt. Dick’s Seafood and Southern Country Cooking” and click. A picture of the cookbook, price and info for ordering will be displayed.