homepage logo

Islander’s former foster son killed in shooting in Connecticut

By Staff | Oct 3, 2012

A tragedy that took place in New Fairfield, Conn., hit home for a Bokeelia resident last week.

On Sept. 27 shortly after 1 a.m., the New Fairfield Resident State Trooper’s Office and troopers from Troop A were notified of a possible burglary at 7 Meeting House Circle, according to a press release the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection for the State of Connecticut.

Two subjects were located in front of the residence, one an adult male, Jeffrey Giuliano, the father, and the other later identified as Tyler Giuliano, 15, his son.

According to a preliminary investigation, the homeowner of 7 Meeting House Circle, Jeffrey’s sister and next door neighbor, was home alone when she called her brother after she believed an unknown subject, later identified as his son Tyler, was trying to gain access into the home.

Once Jeffrey armed himself with a handgun, he went over to investigate and found himself in an altercation with someone dressed in all black clothing, wearing a ski mask and holding a knife. After things became heated and Jeffrey thought he was going to be attacked, he discharged his handgun.

The post mortem examination, which was done by the Chief States Medical Examiner, determined Tyler died of multiple gunshot wounds.

The case remains under investigation.

Lori DePalma, a resident of Bokeelia, said that Tyler was her foster son for seven years.

“I was his provider, caregiver, he lived with me for seven years,” she said. “He called me mommy, he was my baby. He went on all of our vacations, he was our family, he was our little Tyler.”

DePalma said she raised Tyler, along with her three sons – Jason, who lives on the island with her, as well as Ricky and Andrew, who live in Connecticut – on Middleton Drive, which is a street behind Meeting House Circle, where he lived with his adopted parents in Connecticut.

“I raised him until he was seven,” she said, adding that she could not take him with her when she moved from the area.

DePalma said she found out about what happened on Thursday after her son heard about the news.

The last time DePalma saw her foster son was three years ago when she ran into him at a carnival. She recently reached out to Tyler again on Facebook on Saturday, Sept. 2,2 because she wanted to give his adopted parents his baby pictures.

“And Thursday morning he is dead,” she said through tears, adding that he just turned 15 years old on Aug. 2.