Coquilles St-Jacques: Scallops in cream sauce
1 Tbs. shallots, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
dash white pepper
1/2 c. dry vermouth
1. In a two-quart saucepan, bring all ingredients to a boil, then cover and simmer for two minutes.
2. Remove scallops with a slotted spoon.
3. Reduce remaining liquid to half by cooking for about 10 minutes.
4. Add one cup of heavy cream and boil rapidly until syrupy.
5. Lower heat and stir in one Tbsp. of flour and 4 Tbs. of butter.
6. Stir and cook until thickened.
7. Remove saucepan from heat and add scallops in the sauce, stirring to coat evenly.
8. Divide portions into ramekins or large clean sea shells and top with seasoned bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
Makes 4-8 servings
Capt. Dick May is the owner of Easy Rider Charters in Bokeelia. He can be reached at 239-283-3247 or easyridercharters.com. “Capt. Dick’s Seafood & Southern Country Cooking” (new cookbook) can be ordered for $14.95 plus $3 postage by calling the number above or by mailing a check (made out to Dick May) to 7989 Judge Bean Road, Bokeelia, FL 33922.