Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS
 
 
 

Consent of the governed?

December 5, 2018
Pine Island Eagle

To the editor:

Now that the midterms are over, it is clear that our nation is transgressing against the very principles upon which it was founded.

The Declaration of Independence asserts that we have certain rights and, "That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed." America has not consented.

The Economist estimates that the system is so skewed that, "Democrats need to win at least 53.5% of all votes cast for the two major parties just to have a 50/50 chance of winning a majority in the House." Republicans win with 46.5% or less.

Republican gerrymandering is egregious. In North Carolina, Republi-cans won 63 percent of the seats while collecting 50 percent of the total vote. In Ohio's 16 congressional districts, Republicans won 75 percent of the seats with just 52 percent of the overall vote.

Voter purges disqualify citizens who have done nothing wrong. Ohio passed a law removing people from the register if they had not voted for two years and did not return a voter card mailed to their registered address. The law was to "reduce voter fraud" despite no evidence for any fraud. Critics suggest the real reason was to disqualify the poor, who move more frequently, and Hispanic voters, who may speak English as a second language and not understand the relevance of the cards.

Voter ID laws disqualify an estimated 10 percent of Americans who do not have the specified ID under various state rules. In Alabama, this affects the 25 percent of the electorate who are black. In Wisconsin, where Trump won by 22,748 votes, 200,000 people were prevented from voting due to unacceptable ID. States with "signature match" disqualify the elderly and disabled with weakening handwriting and the young voters with developing signatures.

Currently, we are experiencing minority rule, where the majority of votes cast were not for those who got elected. This is NOT "consent of the governed."

The United States is supposed to be run "by the people for the people," not one in which a minority skews the system to hang on to power.

Susan McGuire,

on behalf of Pine Island ROAR

(Rise Up, Organize, Agitate, Resist), Bokeelia

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web