1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 (4 oz.) cube steaks
38 Saltine crackers 1 sleeve crushed
1 1/4 C flour divided
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt divided
1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper divided
1/2 tsp ground red pepper
4 3/4 C milk divided
2 Lg eggs
3 1/2 C peanut oil
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley
1. Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over steaks and set aside.
2. Combine cracker crumbs, 1 C flour, baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper and red pepper and garlic powder.
3. Dredge steaks in cracker crumb mix - dip in milk mix - dredge in cracker crumb mix again.
4. Pour oil into a 12-inch skillet and heat to 360 degrees.
5. Fry steaks 10 minutes. Turn and fry 4 to 5 minutes more until golden brown.
6. Remove to a wire rack on a jelly roll pan. Keep steaks warm in a 225 degree oven.
7. Carefully drain hit oil, reserving cooked bits and 1 Tbsp drippings in skillet.
8. Whisk together remaining 2 Tbsp flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper and 2 cups milk.
9. Pour mixture into reserved drippings in skillet and cook over medium high heat, whisking constantly for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened.
10. Serve gravy with steaks and mashed potatoes.
Garnish with parsley.
"Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cook-ing," Capt. Dick May's newest cookbook, can be ordered at www.Ama-zon.com. Go to "Cook-books," then to the "Food and Wine" category. Type in "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" and click. A picture of the cookbook, price and information for ordering will be displayed.