3 C eater
1/2 Tbsp salt
1/4 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
3/4 C yellow grits
1/4 stick butter
1 C shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 Lb shrimp peeled and deveined lightly dusted with flour
1/2 Lb bacon
1/4 C chopped parsley
1/2 C scallions thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves finely minced
1. In a large saucepan, bring the salted water to a boil. Then, add grits and pepper and stir for about 30 seconds.
2. Turn down the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook until the water is absorbed. If the are too thick, add some water (or milk) and continue to cook, for about 20 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in butter and cheese.
4. Fry bacon in a skillet until crispy; drain and crumble.
5. In the reserved grease, saute shrimp until pink, just a minute or two, and remove to a holding plate. Don't overcook your shrimp!
6. Add parsley, garlic, and scallions to the hot bacon grease and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until the scallions are transparent.
7. Spoon grits into serving bowl. Stir in all the other ingredients and serve immediately.
Serves 2 - 3
Capt. Dick May is the owner of Easy Rider Charters in Bokeelia. He can be reached at 239-283-3247 or EasyRiderCharters.com. "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" (a new cookbook) can be ordered at www.Amazon.com. Go to Cookbooks then to Food and Wine category. Type in "Capt. Dick's Seafood and Southern Country Cooking" and click. A picture of the cookbook, price and info for ordering will be displayed.