2 eggs well beaten
1 bottle of beer
1 1/2 C flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp baking powder
Flour or cornstarch for dredging
1. Heat cooking oil in deep pan or fryer to 375 degrees
2. Pour beer straight into bowl and let it go flat, then mix with beaten eggs
3. Add dry ingredients and mix well
4. If necessary, adjust batter to about the thickness of heavy cream by adding a little more beer or flour
5. Dredge fish lightly in cornstarch. Shake off excess and dip in batter and slide into hot oil.
Makes enough batter for about 2 lbs of fish or 6 to 8 servings
Capt. Dick May is the owner of Easy Rider Charters in Bokeelia. He can be reached at 239-283-3247 or easyridercharters.com. "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" (a new cookbook) can be ordered for $14.95 plus $3 postage by calling the number above or mailing a check (made out to Dick May) to 7989 Judge Bean Road, Bokeelia, FL 33922.