1 (1 to 1 LB) flounder
Vegetable oil for frying
2 C flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 recipe Garlic-Apricot Glaze (recipe follows)
1. Wash and scale flounder
2. Remove head and gut
3. Score each side of the fish with a sharp knife in 1-inch diamond shapes
4. Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep cast iron skillet to 335 degrees.
5. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper and dredge the flounder in the flour mixture.
6. Deep fry flounder until golden 8 to 12 minutes
7. Drain and spread the glaze over the flounder and serve immediately.
C apricot Jam
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp chopped Garlic
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1. In a small saucepan, combine jam, vinegar and garlic
2. Cook over medium heat until reduced by one-third
3. Add the soy sauce and simmer until thickened 5 to 10 minutes
Capt. Dick May is the owner of Easy Rider Charters in Bokeelia. He can be reached at 239-283-3247 or easyridercharters.com. "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" (a new cookbook) can be ordered for $14.95 plus $3 postage by calling the number above or mailing a check (made out to Dick May) to 7989 Judge Bean Road, Bokeelia, FL 33922.