4 lb beef short ribs
Coarse salt and black pepper
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 C barbecue sauce
1 Lg yellow onion halved and sliced
1. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper
2. In a large saute pan over medium high heat, warm oil until almost smoking
3. Add half the ribs and brown on all sides 7 to 8 minutes. Remove to plate.
4. Repeat with remaining ribs
5. Return ribs to slow cooker.
6. Add onion, barbecue sauce, bourbon and water.
7. Cover and cook on low until meat nearly falls off the bone about 6 hours.
8. Over medium high heat, grill ribs until nicely grill marked about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter.
9. Serve with barbecue sauce on the side.
Capt. Dick May is the owner of Easy Rider Charters in Bokeelia. He can be reached at 239-283-3247 or easyridercharters.com. "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" (a new cookbook) can be ordered for $14.95 plus $3 postage by calling the number above or mailing a check (made out to Dick May) to 7989 Judge Bean Road, Bokeelia, FL 33922.