1. Boil 1 C unsweetened cranberry juice in a small saucepan until reduced to 1/4 cup
2. Mix with 3/4 C Dijon mustard and 6 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
Makes 1 cup.
Mini Corn Dogs
1 C flour
3/4 C yellow cornmeal
3 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 Baking soda
1 1/2 C buttermilk
3 Tbsp butter melted
1 Large egg
12 oz. Thin hot dogs each cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths
Cocktail picks or toothpicks
1. Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
2. Add buttermilk, melted butter and egg and stir just until incorporated.
3. Pour 1 1/2 inch of oil into frying pan and heat to about 350 degrees on a deep fry thermometer.
4. Dust hot dog pieces all over with cornstarch.
5. Using a fork, dip each piece into batter to coat and drop into oil.
6. Fry in batches, turning as needed, until golden brown all over 3-5 minutes per batch.
7. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined pan and keep warm in a 200 degree oven until all are done.
8. Push a cocktail pick into an end of each mini corn dog and warm with Cranberry Mustard.
Makes 20 appetizers
Capt. Dick May is the owner of Easy Rider Charters in Bokeelia. He can be reached at 239-283-3247 or easyridercharters.com. "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" (a new cookbook) can be ordered for $14.95 plus $3 postage by calling the number above or mailing a check (made out to Dick May) to 7989 Judge Bean Road, Bokeelia, FL 33922.