1 lb medium shrimp peeled and deveined
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme (crushed)
1 lb linguine
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium white onion chopped
4 cloves garlic finely chopped
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 C heavy cream
3/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
Pinch of sugar
C chopped fresh Italian parsley
Half a Lemon
1. Place the Shrimp in a small bowl. Dust with the cayenne, salt and black pepper and thyme. Toss and let sit.
2. Boil the pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain, reserving some of the pasta water.
3. While the pasta is boiling, melt the butter in a large, heavy skillet with the olive oil over medium heat.
4. Saute the onion until soft 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Add the chopped garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir for 30 seconds and do not let the garlic burn.
6. Add the tomato paste, heavy cream, Parmesan, and a small pinch of sugar. Stir and continue to cook until blended.
7. Add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes.
8. Add the pasta and toss; the reserved pasta water may be added to moisten if necessary.
9. Allow the shrimp to finish cooking another 1 2 minutes. Do not overcook. Add the parsley. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if desired.
10. Remove from heat, squeeze the Lemon over and serve.
Capt. Dick May is the owner of Easy Rider Charters in Bokeelia. He can be reached at 239-283-3247 or easyridercharters.com. "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" (a new cookbook) can be ordered for $14.95 plus $3 postage by calling the number above or mailing a check (made out to Dick May) to 7989 Judge Bean Road, Bokeelia, FL 33922.