2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Chicken cut up, rinsed and dried
1 Lb andouille sausage cut into inch slices
2 C chopped onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 (14.5 oz can) chopped tomatoes
3 Tbsp minced Italian parsley
3 hot red peppers cut in half and seeded
2 Bay leaves
1 C converted rice
3 C chicken stock
2 Tbsp salt
1 Lb large (21-25 count) Florida shrimp peeled and deveined
1 bunch green onions cut for garnish
1. Heat the oil over high heat in a large heavy pot.
2. Add the chicken parts and brown on all sides
3. Remove to a plate
4. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, garlic, tomatoes and parsley and cook until tender stirring frequently about 15 minutes.
5. Add the sausage, bay leaves and pepper halves and cook about 5 more minutes.
6. Add the reserved chicken parts, rice and chicken stock.
7. Add the salt and mix gently.
8. Raise the heat to bring the contents of the pot to a boil, then cover tightly and turn the heat down to very low.
9. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring gently every few minutes.
10. With about 10 minutes to go, stir in the shrimp and green onion. Uncover and turn up the heat to medium.
11. Before serving, remove the pepper halves, being sure to account for all six used in the recipe no guest deserves a hot surprise from a hot pepper.
Perloo is rich and a little bit goes a long way. A simple salad and a slice of garlic bread will do just fine.
Finish this meal off with a cool dessert like ice cream topped with chocolate.
Capt. Dick May is the owner of Easy Rider Charters in Bokeelia. He can be reached at 239-283-3247 or easyridercharters.com. "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" (a new cookbook) can be ordered for $14.95 plus $3 postage by calling the number above or mailing a check (made out to Dick May) to 7989 Judge Bean Road, Bokeelia, FL 33922.