10 slices of bacon
2 Onions cut into small pieces
2 Lb fresh green beans or 3 cans of whole green beans
3 cans chicken stock
Salt & pepper
1. In a Dutch oven, saute the bacon and onions in 3 Tbsp butter until the bacon is cooked and the onions are transparent.
2. Add the green beans and chicken stock. Add water to cover the green beans if necessary.
3. Cover and cook at medium-low heat until beans are limp. This usually takes about four hours with fresh green beans.
4. Salt & pepper to taste.
(Make the day before and refrigerate until time to bake)
3 C cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 C sugar
8 oz cream cheese softened
Dash of salt
1. Using a mixer, mix the cream cheese, sweet potatoes, eggs and sugar in that order.
2. Place in a buttered casserole dish
3. Make the topping and put on top of the sweet potato mixture.
4. Drizzle with 1/2 C of melted butter and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
1 C chopped pecans
1 C crushed corn flakes
1/2 C brown sugar
Capt. Dick May is the owner of Easy Rider Charters in Bokeelia. He can be reached at 239-283-3247 or easyridercharters.com. "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" (a new cookbook) can be ordered for $14.95 plus $3 postage by calling the number above or mailing a check (made out to Dick May) to 7989 Judge Bean Road, Bokeelia, FL 33922.