3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 tsp ground ginger
6 oz shitake mushrooms stems discarded, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic crushed with a press
5 stalks celery thinly sliced
1 1/2 Lbs shelled deveigned large shrimp (16 20 count) chopped
1 Tbsp white vinegar
16 leaves lettuce
1/2 C roasted cashews chopped
1. In a medium bowl, stir together hoisin, soy sauce, sesame oil, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, and 1/4 tsp pepper.
2. Add mushrooms, tossing to coat. Let stand at room temperature.
3. In a 12-inch skillet, heat oil on medium. Add green onions and garlic.
4. Cook for 1 minute, stirring.
5. Add celery and mushroom mixture, including marinade.
6. Cook for 3 minutes or until mushrooms are almost tender, stirring occasionally.
7. Sprinkle shrimp with 1/4 tsp ground ginger and 1/4 tsp pepper.
8. To same skillet, add shrimp, vinegar, and 2 Tbsp water. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until opaque, stirring often.
9. Stir in the Cashews.
10. Serve in lettuce cups with more hoisin, if desired.
Capt. Dick May is the owner of Easy Rider Charters in Bokeelia. He can be reached at 239-283-3247 or easyridercharters.com. "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" (a new cookbook) can be ordered for $14.95 plus $3 postage by calling the number above or mailing a check (made out to Dick May) to 7989 Judge Bean Road, Bokeelia, FL 33922.