2 Doz. medium fresh oysters in the shell
2 Tbsp. butter divided
2 Tbsp. olive oil divided
1 1/2 C. day-old French bread crumbs
3/4 C. minced green onions
1/4 C. freshly grated Par-migiano-Reggiano cheese
4 cloves garlic pressed
4 Tbsp. minced flat leaf parsley
2 tsp minced fresh thyme
2 tsp minced fresh oregano
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
Pinch of ground red pepper
1. Shuck oysters, reserving bottom shells and 1 Tbsp oyster liquor, discard top shells
2. Gently loosen oyster from shell, using oyster knife
3. Preheat broiler with oven rack 6 inches from heat
4. Melt 1 Tbsp butter with 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over low heat
5. Microwave remaining 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp olive oil in a small bowl at high for 20 seconds or until butter melts. Stir in the reserved oyster liquor.
6. Spread rock salt in a 1/4-inch layer in a 18-inch by 13-inch shallow pan. Place oysters, in their shells, on rock salt.
7. Spoon bread crumb mixture over oysters and drizzle with butter mixture.
8. Broil for 5 to 6 minutes or until top is crisp and browned.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Capt. Dick May is the owner of Easy Rider Charters in Bokeelia. He can be reached at 239-283-3247 or easyridercharters.com. "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" can be ordered for $14.95 plus $3 postage by calling the number above or mailing a check (made out to Dick May) to 7989 Judge Bean Road, Bokeelia, FL 33922.