This recipe is pretty long and sounds like a lot of work, but if you try it, I guarantee that you will love it.
1 whole fish - 3 to 5 pounds, scaled and cleaned
1?Tbs. rice wine
2 green onions
2 slices of ginger root
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt
2 egg yolks
1 C. cornstarch
10 C. oil for frying
1 Tbs. chopped garlic
1/2 C. shredded onion
1/4 C. shredded green pepper
6 Tbs. sugar
6 tbs/ vinegar
6 Tbs. tomato ketchup
6 Tbs. water
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
2 Tbs. shredded green onion
1 Tbs. shredded ginger root
1/2 Tbs. hot red pepper
2 Tbs. chopped coriander
1. First rinse fish on each side, make diagonal cuts through the meat to the bone, at every 1/2 inch from head to tail.
2. Rub fish with mixture under Step 1, making sure you get inside the cuts and let the fish soak for 30 minutes.
3. Dip the fish in egg yolk and coat with cornstarch. Once again, make sure you get inside the diagonal cuts with the mixture.
4. Place the fish on a serving platter and press down lightly to flatten the fish.
5. Heat the oil in a large enough pot to handle the whole fish. You may remove the head and tail, if needed.
6. When the oil reaches 200 degrees, put the fish in the oil. Increase the temperature as needed.
7. After the diagonal cuts have opened, cook until brown and crispy. Ladle oil ,over the fish while it is cooking.
8. While the fish is cooking, heat a stir-fry pan with 2 Tbs. of oil and stir-fry items under Step 2 until fragrant. Then add items under Step 3.
9. When liquid reaches a boil and has become thick, add 1 Tbs. of oil and mix together. Pour over the fish and sprinkle with items under Step 4 and serve.
I would recommend using redfish, snook, grouper or freshwater catfish. If using catfish or snook, remove the skin first.
Serve with a big bowl of fluffy white rice.
Capt. Dick May is the owner of Easy Rider Charters in Bokeelia. He can be reached at 239-283-3247 or easyridercharters.com. "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" (new cookbook) can be ordered for $14.95 plus $3 postage by calling the number above or by mailing a check (made out to Dick May) to 7989 Judge Bean Road, Bokeelia, FL 33922.