5 Tbs. butter
8 fillets speckled trout
1 C. very coarsely chopped artichoke bottoms
1 1/4 C. sliced mushrooms
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 C. brown sauce
2 Tbs. lemon juice
2 C. melted butter
1. Make a brown sauce with 1-1/2 Tbs. butter, 1-1/2 Tbs. flour and 2 C. beef broth and set aside.
2. Melt 5 Tbs. butter in a large heavy skillet.
3. Add trout, artichokes and mushrooms and cook for 7-8 minutes over medium heat or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper while cooking.
5. Remove fish and vegetables to a heated platter and keep warm in a low oven.
6. Combine brown sauce, lemon juice, and the 2 cups of butter. Mix with a wire whisk and cook over low heat until heated through.
7. To serve, ladle about 1/2 cup sauce over each fillet.
Capt. Dick May is the owner of Easy Rider Charters in Bokeelia. He can be reached at 239-283-3247 or easyridercharters.com. "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" (new cookbook) can be ordered for $14.95 plus $3 postage by calling the number above or by mailing a check (made out to Dick May) to 7989 Judge Bean Road, Bokeelia, FL 33922.