To the editor:
1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart every hour.
2. That works out to $20,928 per minute.
3. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot+Kroger+Target+Sears+Costco+K Mart combined.
4. Wal-Mart employees 1.6 million people, it is the world's largest employer.
5. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.
6. Wal-Mart has approx. 3,900 stores in the USA, this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.
7. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at Wal-Mart. The earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion.
You may think I am complaining, but I am really laying the groundwork for suggesting that maybe we should hire these guys who run Wal-Mart to fix the economy.
We have 535 voting members of the legislature. Its official, the majority of you are inept.
The U.S. Postal system was established in 1775. You have had 234 years to get it right and it's broke. Social Security was established in 1935. You have 74 years to get it right and it's broke. Fannie Mae was established in 1938. You have had 71 years to get it right, it's broke. The war on poverty was established in 1964. You have had 45 years to get it right and you haven't. Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965. You have had 45 years to get it right and it's broke. Freddie Mac was established in 1970. You have had 39 years to get it right and it's broke.
The Department of Energy was created in 1977 to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. It has ballooned to 16,000 employees with a budget of $24 billion a year and we import more than ever yet we have vast oil reserves here at home.
You have failed in every "government service" you have shoved down our throats while overspending our tax dollars. Now you want us to believe you can be trusted with a government - run health care system?
Someone please tell me what's wrong with all the people that run this country!
We're broke and can't help our seniors, veterans, orphans, homeless and yet in the last months we have provided relief to Hati, Chile, Turkey and now Pakistan. Imagine if the government gave US the same support they give to other countries. It's sad isn't it?