1 1/2 Lbs. Mackerel filleted and skin off. Remove the bloodline along the center of the fish.
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 Tbs. minced garlic
6 thin slices of fresh ginger root
1 tsp. honey thinned with 1 tsp. water
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 C. water
1. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat for three to four minutes.
2. Cut large fillets into two or three pieces.
3. Add oil to the skillet, wait until it is hot and then add the garlic.
4. After stirring, add the fillets and raise the heat to high and sear on both sides for one minute each.
5. Add remaining ingredients and stir.
6. Turn fish over once or twice in the liquid, cover and reduce heat.
7. Cook until done about six minutes.
8. Remove fish when done, place the fish on a platter, strain the broth and pour over fish.
9. Serve immediately over a bed of hot rice.
Serves 2 to 3
Capt. Dick May is the owner of Easy Rider Charters in Bokeelia. He can be reached at 239-283-3247 or easyridercharters.com. "Capt. Dick's Seafood & Southern Country Cooking" (new cookbook) can be ordered for $14.95 plus $3 postage by calling the number above or by mailing a check (made out to Dick May) to 7989 Judge Bean Road, Bokeelia, FL 33922.