Like many small communities, Pine Island has its share of funky little hang outs and watering holes. Among them is the Ragged Ass Saloon in the heart of St. James City. Here farmers, fishermen, the working class and the retirees all gather to relax and unwind after a long hot day in the Florida sunshine. The cool air and good company draw many regulars to the Ragged Ass and, of course, the warm smiles of the bartenders that greet them on their arrival.
Among those who await patrons to the Ragged Ass is Sandy Smith. She was named as best bartender in the 2008 Best of Pine Island voted by readers of the Pine Island Eagle and she and her husband, Wayne, have been a residents of Pine Island for 15 years.
Sandy said she is happy to be here on the island.
“The people are great. I have always had jobs where I worked with people but the people here are real and I really enjoy them,” Sandy said.
Sandy works at the Ragged Ass Sandy Tuesday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day.
The following are Sandy’s answers to the bartender questionaire.
1. Astrological sign: Leo
2. Birth place: Vermont
3. How long have you been working here: 6 years
4. Vanilla or chocolate: Chocolate
5.When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up: Mechanic
6. What’s your drink of choice: Miller Lite
7. Do you have a collection or hobby: Miniature shoes and antiques
8. Who would you want to play the role of you in a movie: Sandra Bullock
9. Where do you see yourself in 10 years: At the Ragged Ass
10. Who was your celebrity crush on in high school: Troy Donahue
11. What is your absolute biggest pet peeve: Rude people
12. What’s your favorite pastime: Motorcycle riding and boating
13. Which cartoon character do you most relate to: Willey Coyote
14. If you were a wild animal, what would you be: Wolf
15. If you were on a deserted island what one thing would you want with you: Sam Elliot
16. Who has been the biggest influence in your life: My brother and father
17. What is your favorite sport to watch: Football and old Nascar
18. What is your favorite TV show: “NCIS”
19. Do you have any pets: Just Wayne
20. Describe yourself in one word: Unforgettable
The Ragged Ass Saloon is located at 3421 Stringfellow Road in St. James City. In addition to the bar, the Ragged Ass also offers an extensive lunch and dinner menu and was named Best of Pine Island for pizza in 2008. In addition, live music is featured several times per week. The Ragged Ass Saloon in open Monday through Saturday, from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m., and on Sunday, from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Meet Sandy Smith, 2008 winner of the Best of Pine Island for best bartender from the Ragged Ass Saloon in St. James City.