There are many places in Matlacha and on Pine Island that are steeped in history and serve as reminders of days gone by. Some dot the landscape and are considered landmarks by which locals guide newcomers to various locations as these places have been around seemingly forever, changing very little. Among these landmarks is a place called Mulletville in Matlacha. Mulletville is one of those places where it is not uncommon to see a shrimper and a suited salesman sitting together discussing current events, while a diligent bartender sees to their needs. Among the bartenders working at Mulletville is Yvonne Michele Brophy, affectionately known to her customers as “Stormy” or “Spanky.” Yvonne moved to the Pine Island one year ago but had vacationed here for the last six years. When her circumstances changed, she decided to become a full-time resident.
“I love it here. I come from a long line of river people and island people are very similar,” said Yvonne. “Everyone has welcomed me and I feel like they are now my family.”
The following are the answers Yvonne provided with her bartender questionaire:
1. Astrological sign: Scorpio
2. Birth place: Milton, Fla. I am a real cracker
3. How long have you been working here: 8 months
4. Vanilla or chocolate: Life is too short, why not both
5. When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up: A dolphin trainer or movie star
6. What’s your drink of choice: Sweet tea or Grey Goose vodka
7. Do you have a collection or hobby: Photography
8. Who would you want to play the role of you in a movie: Kate Hudson
9. Where do you see yourself in 10 years: Ha, just taking it one day at a time
10. Who was your celebrity crush on in high school: Rick Springfield and Andy Gibb
11. What is your absolute biggest pet peeve: Rude people
12. What’s your favorite pastime: Being with friends and family
13. Which cartoon character do you most relate to: Jessica Rabbit, “I’m not bad I’m just drawn that way”
14. If you were a wild animal, what would you be: A cougar
15. If you were on a deserted island, what one thing would you want with you: My honey, Jason.
16. Who has been the biggest influence in your life: My Mamaw
17. What is your favorite sport to watch: Beach volleyball
18. What is your favorite TV show: “Weeds”
19. Do you have any pets: Do customers count?
20. Describe yourself in one word: Fabulous
Al and Barb’s Mulletville is located on Pine Island Road in the heart of Matlacha. The restaurant is open seven days a week serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. In the bar, live music is performed several nights a week and each Thursday is the Matlacha Bike Night at Mulletville. For more information, call Al and Barb’s Mulletville at 283-5151.
Yvonne Michele Brophy, a bartender at Mulletville, is affectionately known to her customers as “Stormy” or “Spanky.”