During the dog days of summer, many island residents will find respite from the Florida heat and humidity and seek solace in one of the many neighborhood taverns. Serving up cool refreshing beverages and lending a welcoming ear, the men and women who are employed as bartenders are always at the ready and willing to attend to their patrons’ needs.
This week get to know Betty Sue Lee, better know simply at Bet, from Woody’s Waterside Restaurant in St. James City. Bet is the full-time bartender at Woody’s and works each week from Thursday through Monday from 4 p.m. until closing. She has lived on Pine Island since 1976 and has a son, Robbie Lee, who is in the Navy. She also has two sisters in Mississippi.
“There used to be a sign at the island center that said, once you get Pine Island sand in your shoes, you never leave. That’s what happened to me,” said Bet. “I could never leave Pine Island. I love the people here and they seem to love me.”
Bet’s answer to the Eagle bartender questionaire are as follows:
1. Astrological sign: Sagittarius
2. Birth place: Bogalus, La.
3. How long have you been working here: 5 years
4. Vanilla or chocolate: Chocolate
5. When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up: What? Grow up!
6. What’s your drink of choice: Ice water
7. Do you have a collection or hobby: Plants and music
8. Who would you want to play the role of you in a movie: Goldie Hawn
9. Where do you see yourself in 10 years: I can’t see that far.
10. Who was your celebrity crush on in high school: Davy Jones of the Monkees
11. What is your absolute biggest pet peeve: Lousy tippers
12. What’s your favorite pastime: Hanging out with friends
13. Which cartoon character do you most relate to: Cathy
14. If you were a wild animal, what would you be: A tiger
15. If you were on a deserted island, what one thing would you want with you: A cell phone to call home for help
16. Who has been the biggest influence in your life: My older sister, Rhonda
17. What is your favorite sport to watch: NASCAR
18. What is your favorite TV show: “My Name is Earl”
19. Do you have any pets: No
20. Describe yourself in one word: Fun
Meet Betty “Bet” Lee, full-time night bartender at Woody’s Waterside in St. James City.