The island bartenders are often the island's best PR agents and are usually well versed with regard to island happenings. When asked, many will offer up suggestions for good fishing spots, nature hikes, sightseeing locations and other opportunities available for visitors and locals alike. These stationary tour guides are often invaluable to other businesses on the island, yet seldom do we know the people who are oftentimes on the front line when it comes to greeting island guests.
In this issue of The Eagle we will get to know Mike Graves, a bartender at the Tarpon Lodge in Pineland.
Graves came to the area 17 years ago and lives in Cape Coral with his wife, Dar, and children Jordan,16, and Bria, 15, and he has enjoyed his experiences at the Tarpon Lodge.
Mike Graves is a bartender at the Tarpon Lodge in Pineland.
"I love working here. There are a lot of nice people, fishing guides and people who like to fish. The weddings are always fun and, in fact, I have made a lot of friends since I began working here," Graves said.
Twenty questions were posed to Graves and the following is his answers:
1. Astrological sign: Taurus
2. Birth place: Portage, Wis.
3. How long have you been working here: A year and a half
4. Vanilla or chocolate: Vanilla
5. When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up: Pro athlete
6. What's your drink of choice: Mich Light
7. Do you have a collection or hobby: Bowling
8. Who would you want to play the role of you in a movie: Edward Norton
9. Where do you see yourself in 10 years: Who knows
10. Who was your celebrity crush on in high school: Farah Fawcett
11. What is your absolute biggest pet peeve: Lying
12. What's your favorite pastime: Fishing
13. Which cartoon character do you most relate to: Johnny Bravo
14. If you were a wild animal, what would you be: Great horned owl
15. If you were on a deserted island, what one thing would you want with you: A good knife
16. Who has been the biggest influence in your life: Frank Shorter
17. What is your favorite sport to watch: Football
18. What is your favorite TV show: "Nip Tuck"
19. Do you have any pets: One dog and a fish tank
20. Describe yourself in one word: Passive
The Tarpon Lodge is located at 13771 Waterfront Drive in Pineland, across from the Calusa Heritage Trail, and is open seven days a week for lunch and dinner. The Tarpon Lodge also offers live entertainment on Tuesday and Thursday evenings in the lounge.
For more information, call the Tarpon Lodge at 283-3999 or visit tarponlodge.com