It is often said that Pine Island knows how to throw a party. During the winter season, parties come in the form of fund-raising events featuring food, music and, of course, adult beverages. But, now that our seasonal residents have returned to their homes up north, year-round residents continue the party at local watering holes.
Dedicated to keeping the party going are the many hardworking bartenders. This week, get to know Shelly Marshall Barrs, known better as Lee, from Al and Barb's Mulletville in Matlacha. Lee and her husband, Greg, and her stepsons, Cody, 16 and Chad, 20, moved to Cape Coral six years ago and have now lived on Pine Island for the last two years. Lee's daughter, Jessica, 20, resides with her husband in North Carolina.
Lee said that she is always made to feel welcomed by her customers at Mulletville.
This week, get to know Shelly “Lee” Marshall, from Mulletville in Matlacha.
"I just love it here," she said. "All of my customers have welcomed me with open arms and we all feel like one big happy family."
Each of the island bartenders were given a set of 20 questions and Lee's answers follow:
1. Astrological sign: Taurus
2. Birth place: Warren, Ohio
3. How long have you been working here: Just started April 28
4. Vanilla or chocolate: Chocolate
5. When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up: Nurse or stewardess
6. What's your drink of choice: Strawberry vodka with pineapple and cranberry juice
7. Do you have a collection or hobby: I collect angels and gardening
8. Who would you want to play the role of you in a movie: Julia Roberts
9. Where do you see yourself in 10 years: Living on the beach
10. Who was your celebrity crush on in high school: Leif Garrett
11. What is your absolute biggest pet peeve: People who drive under the speed limit
12. What's your favorite pastime: Riding a Harley
13. Which cartoon do you most relate to: Tinkerbell
14. If you were an animal, what would you be: An eagle
15. If you were on a deserted island what one thing would you want with you: Family
16. Who has been the biggest influence in your life: My daughter, Jessica
17. What is your favorite sport to watch: NASCAR
18. What is your favorite TV show: "Saving Grace"
19. Do you have any pets: Yorkshire terriers and sugar gliders
20. Describe yourself in one word: Happy
Al and Barb's Mulletville is located at 4597 Pine Island Road in Matlacha and is open every day from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., serving breakfast, lunch and dinner and offering happy hour prices from 7 to 10 p.m. every Thursday for Bike Night.