The old adage, "lend me your ear" is commonly part of the job description of many island workers. Here on Pine Island, we have in excess of 15 local establishments that offer patrons a place to enjoy a cold beverage while relaxing in air conditioned comfort. Those men and women who gladly fill the orders of residents and visitors alike also serve as something of a sounding board for many of their guests, however, these same people rarely reveal a glimpses of their personal lives.
The following is a set of questions that were provided to bartenders throughout Pine Island and Matlacha and in this issue we will get to know Sandi Maselter a little better. Sandi moved to Southwest Florida from Minnesota with her husband Scott and her daughters Cassie, 16, and Kristi, 14, and enjoys getting know the people who come from all over to visit Matlacha and Pine Island.
"Many of our customers are vacationers and it is very interesting to hear about where they come from," Sandi said. "Most of them really enjoy the laid-back atmosphere of the Sandy Hook and Pine Island."
Meet Sandi Maselter, bartender at the Sandy Hook Restaurant in Matlacha.
Sandi is a full-time bartender at the Sandy Hook Restaurant in Matlacha and her answers to our list of "Getting to know your local bartender" questions are as follows:
1. Astrological sign: Virgo
2. Birth place: St. Cloud, Minn.
3. How long have you been working here: 3 1/2 years
4. Vanilla or chocolate: Chocolate
5. When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up: I'm still waiting to grow up
6. What's your drink of choice: Miller Lite
7. Do you have a collection or hobby: No
8. Who would you want to play the role of you in a movie: Jennifer Aniston
9. Where do you see yourself in 10 years: Here
10. Who was your celebrity crush on in high school: David Cassidy
11. What is your absolute biggest pet peeve: People letting dogs using my lawn as a bathroom
12. What's your favorite pastime: Talking bull with my friends
13. Which cartoon character do you most relate to: Alice in Wonderland
14. If you were a wild animal, what would you be: Koala bear
15. If you were on a deserted island, what one thing would you want with you: Beer
16. Who has been the biggest influence in your life: A former teacher
17. What is your favorite sport to watch: Softball
18. What is your favorite TV show: Weather Channel
19. Do you have any pets: No, all of our pets have to pass the "flush" test
20. Describe yourself in one word: Outgoing