Pine Island is known primarily for its art, music and dining opportunities. Another attraction to the island life is perhaps the more than a dozen "watering holes" where locals and visitors gather to swap fish stories, discuss politics or just mingle with like-minded individuals. At each of these establishments, perhaps the most important fixtures are the bartenders. Whether mixing specialty drinks or pouring draft beer, the men and women tending bars often become friends and confidants to their customers, however, while listening to the histories of others, they seldom share any information about themselves. In response, The Eagle will offer a series of articles, "Get to know your local bartender," which will introduce readers to this special group of people.
Each of the island bartenders have been given a set of pre-prepared questions and the following answers were provided by the first spotlighted bartender, Marcy A. McCormack, also known as "My Love" from the Tarpon Lodge in Pineland. She and her husband are raising their 11-year-old daughter and when not spending time with her family, she enjoys working at the Tarpon Lodge.
"Every morning I look forward to going to work. I enjoy the people I work with and for, as well as my customers," said McCormack. "We always have a lot of fun and people know that when they talk to me, it doesn't go any further. It's a good feeling to know they trust me."
Meet Marcy McCormick, the daytime bartender at the Tarpon Lodge in Pineland.
McCormack's questionaire follows:
1. Astrological sign: Aries
2. Birth place: Littleton, Colo.
3. How long have you been working here: 1 1/2 years
4. Vanilla or chocolate: I like both
5. When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up: A veterinarian
6. What's your drink of choice: Carrot juice
7. Do you have a collection or hobby: Love to work on boats and I collect gems
8. Who would you like to play the role of you in a movie: Meg Ryan
9. Where do you see yourself in 10 years: Sailing around the world
10. Who was your celebrity crush on in high school: I did not have one
11. What is your absolute biggest pet peeve: Speeding in residential neighborhoods
12. What's your favorite pastime: Going to Dog Beach
13. Which cartoon character do your most relate to: Musfasa from Lion King
14. If you were a wild animal, what would you be: Dolphin
15. If you were on a deserted island, what one thing would you want with you: My daughter and Bud Light
16. Who has been the biggest influence in your life: My mom
17. What is your favorite sport to watch: Football
18. What is your favorite TV show: Law and Order
19. Do you have any pets: Yes
20. Describe yourself in one word: Nuts
The Tarpon Lodge is located at 13771 Waterfront Drive in Pineland and is open for lunch and dinner from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day. The bar also features live music on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6:30 to 9 p.m. For more information, call 283-2517 or visit tarponlodge.com